SPER Assessment Admission Criteria
Qualify for admission to Teacher Education
(To be completed during the Freshman Year - students are admitted to USU as a pre-special education major. Students apply to the major the fall of their sophomore year )
- Communications Literacy: Must have 3 credits of ENGL 1010 with a minimum grade of C+.
- Math: MATH 1050, MATH 2020 and STAT 1040 required for severe and mild/moderate majors. Two of the math classes must be taken before admission. STAT 1040 or Math 1050 required for birth to 5 majors. All math classes must be passed with a grade of C or higher. Start on this requirement your first semester. Mild/moderate majors must also take the Middle School Math Praxis Test (5169) before applying for admission.
- Breadth - American Institutions: Must have 3 credits of American Institutions with a minimum grade of C. Recommended course: USU 1300.
- Breadth - Physical Science: PHYS 1200 required with a minimum grade of C.
- Breadth - Life Science: - Must have 3 credits of life science with a minimum grade of C. Recommended course: USU 1350.
- Human Development: FCHD 1500 or PSY 1100: Must have 3 credits of a Child or Human Development course with a minimum grade of C.
- Pass the College of Education and Human Services Writing Test: This exam is given at the YETC the first five weeks of every semester during YETC hours. No charge. Number of attempts calculated into admission score.
- Pass the SPED Math Test: A sixth grade math test offered in the YETC during the first five weeks of every semester. Number of attempts calculated into admission score.
- Speech and Hearing Test: Sign up for an appointment on the bulletin board at the USU Speech and Audiology Center in the Communicative Disorders Building, Room 101. Cost $10.00.
- Minimum ACT scores taken within the past five years. Required minimum ACT scores are 21 for composite, 20 for English, 19 for Math, 18 for Reading and 18 for Science. Residual ACT test can be taken every Wednesday in Testing Services.
- Clear the Utah State Office of Education's Background Check. Cost $84.00.
- Minimum GPA of 3.00. The Special Education Major is competitive. The average GPA of accepted students for the last few years has been around 3.50.
Apply for Admission to Special Education Major
Applications are due October 1 of the Sophomore Year at http://sper.usu.edu/undergrad
- Pass the background check.
- SPED has a competitive admissions policy. The minimum GPA for application is 3.00. The admission criteria:
- Completion of the Teacher Education Requirements before application to the program
- Minimum ACT scores
- Math requirements
- Prior experience in helping people with disabilities
- Number of attempts on the College of Education and Human Services Writing Test and on the SPED Math Test.