Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

FAQ GraphicsNOTE:  These are answers to general program questions.  If you are a new student feeling a bit lost, our New Student Orientation contains information, and addtional FAQs  which you may find useful.

What degrees are offered?
We offer M.Ed. and M.S. degrees in Special Education, and offer concentrations in Administrative/Supervisory Licensure , BCBA (Board Certified Behavior Analyst) , and Transition .

How do I apply?
Apply online through the School of Graduate Studies website.

What are the admission deadlines?
Applications for the M.Ed/M.S. in Special Education are due by March 15th for summer semester, June 15th for fall semester, and October 15th for spring semester. 

Applications for the M.Ed. with Administrative/Supervisory Licensure concentration are due by March 15th for summer semester, May 1st for fall semester, and October 15th for spring semester.  Students interested in applying to this concentration must also submit an application directly to the Teacher Education and Leadership department. Application requirements and deadlines can be found here 

Applications for BCBA concentration are due by March 15th for fall semester. 

Applications for Transition concentration are due by March 15th of odd years (2019) for fall semester.  

Files must be complete (all items received by the graduate school)  before they will be reviewed. 

Do you accept the Millers Analogies Test (MAT)?
We no longer accept the MAT for admission.  All students must take the GRE.

Where do I take the GRE:
The general test is given year-round. Appointments are scheduled by the testing centers.  The GRE is a computer-based test. The cost is approximately $200.

  • Lindon (0900) Prometric Testing Center, 350 S 400 W, Ste 200, Lindon, UT  84042 (801) 226-2095.
  • Logan (7730) Utah State University, University Inn 115, 0118 Old Main Hill, Logan, UT  84322 (435 797-1004.
  • Salt Lake City (5343) University of Utah, 201 S 1460 E, 490 Student Services Building, Salt Lake City, UT  84112 (801) 581-7310.
  • St. George (4510) Prometric Testing Center, 750 W Ridgeview Drive, Ste 105, St. George, UT  84770 (435) 674-7088.
  • Taylorsville (0086) Prometric Testing Center, 5500 S. Redwood Rd., Ste 201, Taylorsville, UT  84118 (801) 355-5051.

How long does it take to get my GRE scores back?
It takes from 3-6 weeks for scores to be reported.  Make sure and plan ahead and take the test well in advance of the admission date that you will be applying for.  We cannot review your file if test scores have not been received.

What are the minimum requirements for admission?
3.00 GPA over the last 60 semester hours, GRE scores at the 40th percentile or above, three letters of recommendation, all transcripts, and letter of intent.

Do you need a Special Education Endorsement for admission?
You should already have your SPED endorsement, or be admitted to an endorsement program at the time of admission.

Who should I get the three letters of recommendation from?
If you have been in school during the last five years, at least two of the letters must come from persons from whom you have taken academic coursework.  The third letter can come from a special education director or principal.  We stongly recommend that even if you hav been out of school for five years that you obtain two letters from college professors.

What should my letter of intent include?
Your letter must detail your specific reasons for wanting to attend graduate school, and also list and describe experiences and qualifications that you believe prepared you for advanced study.  Letters of intent are considered a vital element of the selection process and are carefully reviewed.  Letters characterized by clear organization, attention to requested information, and mechanical accuracy allow selection committee readers to better evaluate your request for graduate training. 

Application Process
Once your application has been received by the graduate school and is complete, a file review takes place.  Files are scored on GPA, test scores, teaching experience, diversity, supervisory experience, letters of recommendation, and letter of intent.  After faculty review files, applicants are divided into three groups: 1) applicants whose files are very strong are admitted for the next semester; 2) applicants whose files were viewed positively but for whom slots were not available (holding pool), and finally; 3) applicants with weaker files who will not be admitted.  If your file is placed in the "holding pool." your application will be considered again at the next file review with more recently received applications and will be given an additional point in the scoring process.  This additional point will give your application higher priority, but will not guarantee that you will be admitted.

How long will it take for me to find out if I am admitted to the program?
You will be notified by mail of your admission status approximately 1-2 months after the admission deadline.

Is the program admission competitive?
The program is competitive.  The average admittance rate is approximately 50%-70% over the past four admission dates.

What is the cost of 3 credits?
A 3 credit course costs approximately $1,200.

Do you have any graduate student support or scholarships available?
Contact the Financial Aid office (435-797-0173) for information on students loans and other financial aid.

Are courses taught in the evening?
Courses are typically taught in the evening from 4:30-7:00 or 7:15-9:45 once a week.

Where do I take courses?
Courses are offered at sites in Logan, Brigham City, Kaysville, Salt Lake City, Tooele, Orem, Vernal, Roosevelt, Price, Richfield, Moab, and St. George. 

Can I complete my entire program at a distance site?  Do I have to travel to Logan?
All of your coursework can be completed at the distance site.  However, unless approved otherwise by your committee, you will need to travel to Logan for your proposal meeting and your final defense meeting.

How long does it take to finish the program?
Typically, students take about 2-3 years to finish the program if they take 2 classes per semester and make consistent progress on their project/thesis.

Can I take classes before I am admitted into the program?
You can take up to 12 credits before you are admitted into the program.  You should know that you are taking these courses at your own risk.  You are not guaranteed admission into the program just because you are taking classes.

How many credits can I transfer into the program?
Twelve credits from an accredited university.  The credits cannot have been used for another degree, and must be relevant to the field of special education.  Your committee must approve all credits transferred into the program.

I am enrolled in an endorsement program (ATP, Distance Mild/Mod).  Can I apply some of these credits towards my master's degree?
You can apply at least 12 of these credits towards your master's degree.

How many total credits do I have to take to complete the program?
The M.Ed./M.S. degree is 36 credits.  The M.Ed. with Administrative/Supervisory Licensure is 42 credits.  The M.Ed./M.S. with Transition is 39 credits.  The M.S. with BCBA coursework is 39 credits.

How are courses broadcast?
Courses are broadcast over a teleconferencing system from Logan, Utah.

What is the difference between the M.Ed. and M.S. degrees?
The M.Ed. degree requires that a student do a creative project.  The M.S. requries a thesis.  General speaking, a thesis is more rigorous and recommended if a student plans to go on for a Ph.D. degree.

Who should I contact for additional information?
Contact: Heather Hallam